Special Moments | Military Goodbye | St. Louis Airport

Sometimes there are moments that remind us why we do what we do, and why we love it.    

          A month ago, I was in at Lambert International Airport, in St. Louis, MO, exhausted after an amazing couple days at Shutterfest with fellow photographers (more on that in a future blog!) and frustrated with the situation of delayed flights.  I was going to miss my connection, and be stuck in Denver.  I just wanted to get home, and sleep in my own bed.  
          Then, things started lining up.  My airline changed my flight, putting me on a nonstop flight to Denver, where my connection would be waiting for the couple of us who would be running a little behind.  I moved myself and my belongings to the new gate, and sat down to wait to finally get on a plane and get closer to home.   
          I called my mom, to update her on what was going on, and in front of me I see a woman in her military dress uniform, saying goodbye to her two young sons. I mentioned what I was seeing to my mom, and she immediately said, “Take pictures!”  Honestly, I was so tired that I forgot I even had my camera on me.  I told my mom I’d call her back, nearly hanging up on her.  I approached the family, and asked if they wanted a few photographs taken.  It didn’t take but a couple minutes of my time to capture a few moments for this family, and it warmed my heart to be able to do so.  The photos are simple, totally on the spot and in the moment, but it was something so special, and helped put things into perspective.   
          It’s interesting how things work out sometimes. Had my flight not been delayed, then changed, I wouldn’t have been there to capture these moments for this family.  Military families hold a special place in my heart, and I love photographing Military Homecomings (this was a little different, being a goodbye, but still so beautiful)! I’m glad I was able to give these few images to this beautiful family.  Turns out, they even live local, in Southern California! Small world! Moments like these don't happen too often, and sometimes it's easy to bypass them without even realizing. This was a great nudge, refreshing my mind with why I love being a photographer.

Military Homecoming St Louis AirportMilitary Homecoming St Louis Airport
Military Homecoming St Louis Airport
Military Homecoming St Louis Airport


14 comments

There was a bigger plan that was meant to happen when your flight was messed up....this is why :)

Reply

Aww Stephanie these are beautiful! I would have been balling my eyes out like a baby watching this!

Reply

You're so right! It's crazy how things work out sometimes! :)

Reply

Thank you, Brittney!! I may have had to hold back a few tears myself. :)

Reply

I remember when you posted about this, such a special coincidence and moment. It's nice to be reminded (even by our mothers, haha!) that we can capture and immortalize some of life's most precious moments for others. We have a gift worth sharing with the world. Great job, Stephanie!

Reply

That was sooooo nice of you! I am sure it was a tough moment for the mom - and you made a small gesture that means the world!

Reply

Thank you, Karen!! Haha, yes, sometimes we still need to be reminded by our mothers!

Reply

Beautifully captured Stephanie!

Reply

Really wonderful photos, so well done :-)

Reply

Very sweet moment captured. Nice one.

Reply

How touching and sweet! I'm sure they will cherish these photos :)

Reply

How awesome that you had the opportunity to capture these. Such precious moments. :) Beautifully done girl

Reply

How cool of you to do! :) They'll treasure these.

Reply